Visit our shelter at 3040 Holland Rd. or our Pet Supplies & Adoption Center (983 Providence Square Shopping Center). Stroll through our small animal room, cattery, and kennels. Read the cage cards located on each cage or kennel.
2. If you find an animal you are interested in and have read the information about the animal, ask a cattery or kennel technician to assist you. They will remove the animal from the cage and escort you to a visitation room.
3. Spend some time interacting with the animal outside the cage. Ask questions. Be sure this is the right animal for you.
4. If you would like to fill out an application for the animal, let your technician know. They’ll get you started.
5. Take the completed application to the front desk for review.
6. All household members must visit with the animal before the adoption can be finalized.
7. Anyone wishing to adopt a dog or puppy who currently has a dog or puppy at home must do a dog introduction at the shelter. This is arranged AFTER the vet and residence check have been completed.
8. In order to adopt from the VBSPCA, you must live within 75 miles of Virginia Beach, Virginia.
9. All animals adopted from the VBSPCA will be spayed or neutered. After surgery, you will attend a brief post-op care class. After class, your animal will be released to you.
10. You must have a collar and leash for your adopted dog or a collar and carrier for your new cat/kitten before leaving the shelter. You can bring these items with you at the time of pick-up or you can purchase them from the VBSPCA.
What to Bring With You
Valid Photo ID
If you own your home: A copy of your mortgage statement
If you rent: A copy of your lease stating your landlord’s Pet Policy or your landlord’s name and phone number
If you have other pets: Vaccination records and your veterinarian’s name and phone number