The Virginia Beach SPCA strives to find permanent homes for every adoptable animal in our care. In order to achieve this goal, we need to know about you and your lifestyle, so we can properly match you with an ideal pet. We do not mean to be intrusive in any way, and we hope you recognize that even the greatest animals do not make the best pet for everyone. Let us be a resource in helping you meet your match.
Dog/Puppy: $175 (Includes spay/neuter if needed, 1 year Rabies vaccination or certificate for a rabies vaccination if pet is not old enough, microchip, and a 6 month supply of heartworm preventative.)
Cat: $80 (Includes spay/neuter if needed, 1 year Rabies vaccination, microchip, and a Feline Leukemia/FIV combo test.)
Kitten: $100 (Includes spay/neuter if needed, 1 year Rabies vaccination or certificate for a rabies vaccination if pet is not old enough, microchip, and a Feline Leukemia/FIV combo test.)
Rabbits: $15 if already altered; $35 if spay/neuter surgery needed
Guinea Pigs: $10
Rats: $10; $25 if spay/neuter surgery needed
Monday – Thursday 12 pm – 6 pm
Friday 1 pm – 4 pm
Saturday & Sunday 10 am – 4 pm
1. Visit our shelter at 3040 Holland Rd. Stroll through our small animal room, cattery, and kennels. Read the cage cards located on each cage or kennel.
2. If you find an animal you are interested in and have read the information about the animal, ask a cattery or kennel technician to assist you. They will remove the animal from the cage and escort you all to a visitation room.
3. Spend some time interacting with the animal outside the cage. Ask questions. Be sure this is the right animal for you.
4. If you would like to fill out an application for the animal, let your technician know. They'll get you started.
5. You'll take the completed application to the front desk for review.
6. All household members must visit with the animal before the adoption can be finalized.
7. Anyone wishing to adopt a dog or puppy that currently has a dog or puppy at home must do a dog introduction at the shelter. This is arranged AFTER the vet and residence check have been completed.
8. In order to adopt from the VBSPCA, you must live within 75 miles of Virginia Beach, Virginia.
9. All animals adopted from the VBSPCA will be spayed or neutered. After surgery, you will attend a brief post-op care class. After class, your animal will be released to you.
10. You must have a collar and leash for your adopted dog, or a collar and carrier for your new cat/kitten before leaving the shelter. You can bring these items with you at the time of pick-up, or you can purchase them from the VBSPCA.
What to Bring With You
Valid Photo ID
If you own your home: A copy of your mortgage statement
If you rent: A copy of your lease stating your landlord’s Pet Policy –or—your landlord’s name and phone number
If you have other pets: Vaccination records and your veterinarian’s name and phone number