The Virginia Beach SPCA welcomes middle and high school students who are required to complete community service hours by their school. For this purpose, we schedule “School Community Service Saturdays” once per month. WE DO NOT ALLOW WALK-INS FOR VOLUNTEERING, PROJECTS, OR INTERVIEWS. PROJECT INTERVIEWS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Students will be able to come to the shelter on the dates below to complete their hours. Students will not be allowed to come any other day or time to complete hours.
The schedule for the 2019-2020 School Year is as follows:
- Saturday, October 19
- Saturday, November 9
- Saturday, December 7
- Saturday, January 25
- Saturday, February 8
- Saturday, March 7
- Saturday, April 11
- Saturday, May 9
The service hours are from 1:00 – 3:00 PM only. Students wanting to participate in a Community Service Project Day MUST do the following:
- Sign up in advance – Ability to sign up for a session will start ONE MONTH before that scheduled session. Example: Sign up for the October 19th session will open on September 19th and remain open until either filled or (24) hours before scheduled session. During open sign up, students must email email@example.com to reserve their spot. Walk-in’s will not be admitted due to limited space, projects, and chaperones. No exceptions! Spaces are limited and fill quickly. Be sure to inform us if unable to make a scheduled day, as we usually have a long wait list.
2. Return the liability waiver: Fill out, sign, and submit a Liability Waiver BEFORE the SCS Day. You may return the Liability Waiver by one of the following methods: Email – Volunteer@vbspca.com; Mail – 3040 Holland Road, VB 23453; or Drop Off With Front Desk – Attention Volunteer Manager. A new waiver is needed each school year, but not for each session within the year. DOWNLOAD WAIVER HERE.
3. Attach a proof of school requirement to the waver: A copy of an hours log sheet, welcome letter for a program, or message from a program director would all suffice. Feel free to ask if you’re unsure about what constitutes proof.
4. Adhere to VBSPCA dress code: Wear long pants and closed-toed shoes. Students arriving in inappropriate dress (shorts, flip-flops, etc.) will not be able to work in the shelter.
5. Use of cell phones are not permitted during shift. If students do not participate in assigned tasks, we reserve the right to refuse sign off on their community service hours.
6. Students are to stay in assigned area with VBSPCA chaperone at all times.
If you have any questions, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (757) 427-0070 Ext. 107