Due to the current Pandemic situation and our current safety protocols, we are unable to accommodate school community service groups through the rest of this year. We hope to resume this offering in 2021, and will update this page as soon as information is available. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
The Virginia Beach SPCA welcomes middle and high school students who are required to complete community service hours by their school. For this purpose, we schedule “School Community Service Saturdays” once per month. WE DO NOT ALLOW WALK-INS FOR VOLUNTEERING, PROJECTS, OR INTERVIEWS. PROJECT INTERVIEWS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
The service hours are from 12:00 – 2:00 PM only. Students wanting to participate in a Community Service Project Day MUST do the following:
- Sign up in advance – Ability to sign up for a session will start ONE MONTH before that scheduled session. Example: Sign up for the October 19th session will open on September 19th and remain open until either filled or (24) hours before scheduled session. During open sign up, students must email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve their spot. Walk-in’s will not be admitted due to limited space, projects, and chaperones. No exceptions! Spaces are limited and fill quickly. Be sure to inform us if unable to make a scheduled day, as we usually have a long wait list.
2. Return the liability waiver: Fill out, sign, and submit a Liability Waiver BEFORE the SCS Day. You may return the Liability Waiver by one of the following methods: Email – Volunteer@vbspca.com; Mail – 3040 Holland Road, VB 23453; or Drop Off With Front Desk – Attention Volunteer Manager. A new waiver is needed each school year, but not for each session within the year. DOWNLOAD WAIVER HERE.
3. Attach a proof of school requirement to the waver: A copy of an hours log sheet, welcome letter for a program, or message from a program director would all suffice. Feel free to ask if you’re unsure about what constitutes proof.
4. Adhere to VBSPCA dress code: Wear long pants and closed-toed shoes. Students arriving in inappropriate dress (shorts, flip-flops, etc.) will not be able to work in the shelter.
5. Use of cell phones are not permitted during shift. If students do not participate in assigned tasks, we reserve the right to refuse sign off on their community service hours.
6. Students are to stay in assigned area with VBSPCA chaperone at all times.
If you have any questions, please contact us at: email@example.com or (757) 427-0070 Ext. 107