Writing from the Heart: A compassion inspired writing contest for youth ages 7-12
The Virginia Beach SPCA and the Muse Writers Center have partnered up for a writing competition focused on compassion. Youth ages 7-12 are invited to consider the following questions and submit a song or a short story that brings the concept of compassion to life.
- What does compassion mean?
- How does compassion feel?
- How have you seen compassion in action?
- What does compassion look like?
- Why is it important compassion exists?
Submissions are accepted from March 24th through April 20th. Entries will be judged by a combination of young adult and adult writers, and a winner will be selected in both songwriting and story writing. The winner from each category will receive an educational VBSPCA workshop of choice, classes at the Muse Writing Center, and VBSPCA and Muse swag. Winners will be announced in early May.
- Youth must be between the ages of 7 and 12 at the time of submission.
- Short stories should not exceed 1500 words.
- Song submissions should be submitted via mp4 format or in a word document. Videos should not exceed 2 minutes, and written songs should not exceed one typed page.
To submit your entry, please fill out the following information: