Court Ordered Community Service: We accept court-ordered community service volunteers on a limited basis. Because we cannot accommodate all requests, it is recommended that you submit your court ordered community service application well in advance of the deadline for your hours. This is also recommended for those individuals who wish to show volunteer hours prior to going to a court hearing. All volunteers must complete a volunteer orientation prior to completing any volunteer hours. Orientations are held once a month.
Contact Sarah.Parrish@vbspca.com for questions.
Please note that we are unable to allow individuals whose crimes are associated with a felony and/or the following: theft, violence, narcotics, drug activity beyond minor marijuana offenses, and animal mistreatment.
2018-2019 School Year Community Service
The Virginia Beach SPCA welcomes middle and high school students who are required to complete community service hours by their school. For this purpose, we schedule School Community Service (SCS) Saturdays once per month.
WE DO NOT ALLOW WALK-INS FOR VOLUNTEERING, PROJECTS, OR INTERVIEWS. PROJECT MEETINGS AND/OR INTERVIEWS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. VOLUNTEERING REQUIRES SIGN-UP AHEAD OF TIME, PROOF OF NEED FOR HOURS, AND A SIGNED WAIVER.
Students will be able to come to the shelter on the dates below to earn their hours by completing various animal shelter support tasks. (Please be aware that SCS students generally do not work with animals). Students will not be allowed to come any other day or time other than those listed to complete hours.
Due to limited space, the opportunities listed here are NOT for existing Junior Volunteers, who can complete their hours as part of that program. These spots are only for students in need of service hours for school or another program, such as scouts.
The schedule for the 2018-2019 School Year is as follows:
❖ Saturday, October 20 ❖ Saturday, November 17 ❖ Saturday, December 8 ❖ Saturday, January 12
❖ Saturday, February 9 ❖ Saturday, March 23 ❖ Saturday, April 27 ❖ Saturday, May 18
The hours of service are from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM only. Students wanting to participate in a School Community Service Project Day MUST do the following:
1. RSVP AT LEAST ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE: Students must email their RSVP for the date/hours they wish to attend to firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-in’s will not be admitted due to limited space, projects, and chaperones. No exceptions! Spaces are limited and fill quickly. Be sure to inform us if unable to make a scheduled day, as we usually have a long wait list.
2. RETURN THE LIABILITY WAIVER: Fill out, sign, and submit a Liability Waiver (original – no emailed or faxed copies, please) BEFORE the SCS Day to 3040 Holland Road, VB 23453. (May be mailed or dropped off). A new waiver is needed each school year, but not for each session within the year.
3. ATTACH PROOF OF SCHOOL REQUIREMENT TO WAIVER: A copy of an hours log sheet, welcome letter for a program, or message from a program director would all suffice. Feel free to ask if you’re unsure about what constitutes proof.
4. ADHERE TO DRESS CODE: Wear long pants and closed-toed shoes. Students arriving in inappropriate dress (shorts, flip-flops, etc.) will not be able to work in the shelter.
5. CELL PHONES ARE NOT ALLOWED DURING A WORK SHIFT: If students do not participate in assigned tasks, we reserve the right to refuse sign off on their community service hours.
6. STUDENTS ARE TO STAY IN THE ASSIGNED AREA, WITH A CHAPERONE, AT ALL TIMES
If you have any questions, please contact us. Thank you!
email@example.com (757) 427-0070 Ext. 107