Court Ordered Community Service: We accept court-ordered community service volunteers on a limited basis. Because we cannot accommodate all requests, it is recommended that you submit your court ordered community service application well in advance of the deadline for your hours. This is also recommended for those individuals who wish to show volunteer hours prior to going to a court hearing. All volunteers must complete a volunteer orientation prior to completing any volunteer hours. Orientations are held once a month.
Contact Sarah.Parrish@vbspca.com for questions.
Please note that we are unable to allow individuals whose crimes are associated with a felony and/or the following: theft, violence, narcotics, drug activity beyond minor marijuana offenses, and animal mistreatment.
School-Required Community Service: The Virginia Beach SPCA welcomes middle and high school students who are required to complete community service hours by their school. For this purpose, we schedule “School Community Service Saturdays” once per month. WE DO NOT ALLOW WALK-INS FOR VOLUNTEERING, PROJECTS, OR INTERVIEWS. PROJECT INTERVIEWS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Students will be able to come to the shelter on the dates below to complete their hours. Students will not be allowed to come any other day or time to complete hours.
The schedule for the 2017-2018 School Year is as follows:
October 21; November 18; December 9; January 20; February 24; March 17; April 21; and May 12.
The service hours are from 9:00 – 11:00 AM. Students wanting to participate in a Community Service Project Day MUST do the following:
- RSVP AT LEAST ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE: Students must email their RSVP for the date(s)they wish to attend to firstname.lastname@example.org Walk in's will be turned away due to limited space, chaperones, and projects. No exceptions!
- RETURN THE LIABILITY WAIVER: Fill out, sign, and submit a Liability Waiver (original – no emailed or faxed copies, please) BEFORE the C/S Day to 3040 Holland Road, VB 23453. A new waiver is required each school year.
- ATTACH PROOF OF SCHOOL REQUIREMENT to waiver.
- ADHERE TO DRESS CODE: Wear long pants & closed-toed shoes. Students arriving in inappropriate dress (shorts, flip-flops, etc.) will not be able to work in the shelter. Students may purchase a VBSPCA Volunteer T-Shirt for $20 if they so choose.
- CELL PHONES AND IPODS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE OUT DURING A WORK SHIFT! If students do not participate in assigned tasks, we reserve the right not to sign off on their community service hours.
- Students must stay in assigned area with chaperones at all times.