We welcomed a large transfer of puppies last night, and in order to accomodate all of the residents we will be closing the shelter at 3:00 PM on Friday, April 20th. We may be opening late tomorrow so check back in the morning for updates on our hours of operation.
Our adult volunteers are the backbone of our organization. Our Adult Volunteer Program is very vast and flexible as we want you to be extremely fulfilled while you dedicate your time to our organization.
Volunteers are able to:
- assist with clerical and customer service tasks
- provide adoption counseling to new adopters
- provide assistance with animal cleaning & socialization
- provide home-based foster care
- assist at PetSmart cat adoption centers
- work with children and animals through our Humane Education Department
- visit residents at nursing homes through our pet therapy program
- provide transportation for our animals to-and-from the shelter
- volunteer at our Pet Supplies & Adoption Center in Kempsville
- attend special fundraising, awareness, and adoption events
- join our Photography Team
- transport and rescue area wildlife through our Wildlife Program
- and more!
All adult volunteers must attend a general orientation and must be willing to pay the $25 nonrefundable volunteer initation fee at orientation, which also covers the cost of volunteer shirt (cash, card, and check payments are all accepted). Some additional hands-on follow-up trainings are required to work with the animals at the shelter as well. Information and sign-ups for additional orientations are provided at the general orientation.
General Adult Volunteer Orientations are held monthly, and are posted on our calendar of events. You MUST RSVP for these orientations ahead of time through the volunteer portal.
Volunteer group visits are also welcome at the VBSPCA, but these must be pre-scheduled with the Adult Volunteer Coordinator.
Adults who are mentally or physically challenged in any way must contact our Director of Humane Education & Volunteer Services to schedule a one-on-one meeting and initial orientation so we may find the best way to utilize your volunteer time at the VBSPCA.
If you need to acquire volunteer hours prior to a court hearing or to meet court-ordered community service requirements, please do not attend the general adult volunteer orientation! Rather, please contact our Community Service Representative by calling 427-0070 Ext.104 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Participation in and hours worked through our General Adult Volunteer Program will not count towards required court-ordered Community Service hours!
*An Adult Volunteer is someone who is 18 and older, but MUST be out of high school.
All interested parties that are 13-18 (still in high school) MUST participate via our Junior Volunteer Program.