The Virginia Beach SPCA strives to find permanent homes for every adoptable animal in our care. In order to achieve this goal, we need to know about you and your lifestyle, so we can properly match you with an ideal pet. We do not mean to be intrusive in any way, and we hope you recognize that even the greatest animals do not make the best pet for everyone. Let us be a resource in helping you meet your match. Adoption Procedure:
Adoption Package Costs:
- Come to the shelter at 3040 Holland Rd. Stroll through our small animal room, cattery, and kennels. Read the cage cards located on each cage or kennel.
- If you find an animal you are interested in and have read the information about the animal, ask a cattery or kennel attendant to assist you. They will remove the animal from the cage and escort you all to a visitation room.
- Spend some time interacting with the animal outside the cage. Ask questions. Be sure this is the right animal for you.
- If you would like to fill out an application for the animal, let your attendant know. They'll get you started.
- You'll take the completed application to the front desk for review. A valid picture ID and proof of residency (utility bill, check book, etc.) is required.
- If you have other animals, please bring your veterinarian’s name and phone number, or current vaccination records on your current pets.
- If you rent, please have your landlord’s name and number with you. Know the terms of your lease regarding pets.
- If you own your own home, please bring proof of ownership (deed, mortgage payment, closing statement, etc).
- All household members must visit with the animal before the adoption can be finalized.
- Anyone wishing to adopt a dog or puppy that currently has a dog or puppy at home must do a dog introduction at the shelter. This is arranged AFTER the vet and residence check have been completed.
- All animals adopted from the VBSPCA will be spayed or neutered. After surgery, you will attend a brief post-op care class. After class, your animal will be released to you.
Adoption packages also includes de-wormer, flea treatment, behavioral assessment, nail clipping, ear cleaning, heartworm test (canine), and basic vaccinations.
Dog: $150 (Includes spay/neuter if needed, 1 years Rabies vaccination, microchip, and a 6 month supply of Triheart heartworm preventative.)
Puppy $175 (Includes spay/neuter if needed, 1 year Rabies vaccination or certificate for a rabies vaccination if pet is not old enough, microchip, and a 6 month supply of Triheart heartworm preventative.)
Cat: $80 (Includes spay/neuter if needed, 1 years Rabies vaccination, microchip, and a Feline Leukemia/FIV combo test.)
Kitten: $100 (Includes spay/neuter if needed, 1 year Rabies vaccination or certificate for a rabies vaccination if pet is not old enough, microchip, and a Feline Leukemia/FIV combo test.)
Rabbits: $15 if already altered; $35 if spay/neuter surgery needed
Guinea Pigs: $10
Rats: $10; $25 if spay/neuter surgery needed
We are open for adoptions seven days a week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday: 10am-4pm Tuesday & Thursday: 12:30pm-6:30 pm Sunday: 1pm-4pm